I love coconut, but I love cookies even more. Here is a recipe that combines the two in a wonderful, delicious way. I want to say it’s healthy, with the oatmeal and all. Probably best not to go there…
In all seriousness, this would be a good snack for hiking, camping or what-the-heck, even Downton Abby watching. Maybe Magnum PI?
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 sticks butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, plus 2 TB
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup roasted coconut flakes (from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup toasted walnuts, pecans or macadamia nuts
- 1 cup chocolate chips, white chips or all-natural butterscotch chips
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl, sift to combine.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the vanilla.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing completely.
- Add the coconut chips, shredded coconut, nuts and chips
- Stir to combine.
- Add to flour–you may want to use your hands to mix it all up. It just seemed easier to me, and it’s a great excuse to test the dough.
- Bake at 350 for 10-11 minutes or until golden. Let cool on a rack.
I only wanted enough of these to make a present for my friend’s birthday and to show you here, so I wrapped most of the dough and froze it. Just cut rounds and bake as noted above. These make some big, hearty cookies. You may want to try smaller scoops for the younger set.Feel free to share...